Castleconnell Train Station 160 Year Anniversary
August 28, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
“The Limerick & Castle Connell Railway was the third railway line to be built in the Limerick area and opened for business on the morning of Saturday 28th August, 1858. The other two lines were the Waterford & Limerick (opened 1848) and the Limerick & Foynes (opened 1856/57). Castleconnell at that time was spelt as two words and the new line diverged from the Waterford and Limerick line at Killonan, and ran over relatively easy country for 5½ miles to the new terminus and completed at a cost of £25,000. The journey time was just 15 minutes, in both directions, serving three stations, at Killonan, Annacotty, Lisnagry. There were three trains each way seven days a week, with accommodation for first and third class passengers. This was part of a line that eventually became the through direct line between Dublin and Limerick as an alternative to the earlier route via Limerick Junction.
In association with the Castleconnell Historical Society/Tidy Towns and Love Castleconnell, Iarnród Éireann are running a special train from Limerick to Castleconnell on 28th August, 2018 to mark the occasion. On the evening, a short talk will be given on the history of the Station. Train will depart Limerick at 17.15 hrs. and return from Castleconnell at 19.55 hrs.”