The Fitzgibbon monument, as it has become known, borders the N7 road near Lisnagry School and is an important landmark in the area.
This 19th century public water fountain was originally installed at Carrowkeel, near Finnegan’s Cross. The original pump had been placed at the site by John Fitzgibbon, Earl of Clare who lived at the nearby Mountshannon Estate, to provide his tenants with water. In 1875, it was renovated and a memorial erected by his niece, Lady Louisa Fitzgibbon and her husband the Honourable Gerald N. Fitzgibbon in memory of their son, Charles Richard George who died in 1870 aged 21 years.
The monument was removed from Carrowkeel in 2001 to facilitate the construction of phase one of the Limerick Southern Ring Road. It took a further 10 years for a new site to be found but, following consultation with local residents and the Castleconnell Historical Society, it was reinstated in its new location in 2011. It is perhaps fitting that it stands within the boundary of Mountshannon Demesne thus maintaining the historical connection between the monument and the Mountshannon Estate.
The monument is inscribed with the Fitzgibbon coat of arms and a dedication to Lady Louisa’s son George.
The Pump placed on this spot by John Earl of Clare KP was renovated in 1875 and this memorial erected by his niece Lady Louisa Fitzgibbon of Mountshannon and by her husband The Honorable Gerald N Fitzgibbon in memory of their eldest son Charles Richard George who died on the 30th July 1870 in his 21st year.
“The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away;
as it has pleased the Lord so it is done,
Blessed be the name of the Lord.” Job.1.21.V
Requiescat in Pace